Monday is Earth Day! Earth Day was first celebrated on April 22nd, 1970 as a “teach-in” where thousands of students and faculties at universities, high schools, and elementary schools participated in a day of peaceful demonstration for environmental reform. Since then, it’s only gotten larger and Earth Day is now a global event that mobilizes millions of people to take action on environmental issues each year. Get in on the fun this Earth Day!
Earth Day festivals are taking place everywhere, and they all need volunteers!
- Join Earth Care International in Santa Fe, NM for their Global Youth Service Day.
- Or help out at the Earth Day Fair in San Diego, CA.
- Lend a hand at the Louisiana Bucket Brigade‘s New Orleans Earth Day Festival and Green Business Expo.
- Be sure to pitch in to Save the Bay in Providence, RI.
Attend an event
There will also be a ton of great events happening this weekend.
- There’s still time to register for the Amazing Rock the Earth Race if you’re in Denver, CO. You’ll speed through ten clue stations with physical and mental challenges and end at a big party. Cash prizes go to the first three finishing teams as well as the best dressed team.
- If you’re in Fairfax, CA, go on a trail maintenance hike with the Marin Municipal Water District. And if you’re in Hollywood, what better way to celebrate than a film screening? The Green Lifestyle Film Festival is showing “A Delicate Balance” at their EcoSalon.
- Arlingtonians for a Clean Environment is teaming up with George Mason University to host a Green Living Expo in Arlington, VA.
- If you’re feeling especially energized, try a 5K in Philly, or take it easy with a picnic in the park in Acokeek, MD.
Find a new career
You can celebrate the earth year-round by making a career out of saving the environment. Idealist has over one thousand jobs in the environmental and energy conservation field.
- Earthjustice is seeking an Associate Attorney in Denver, CO.
- The Nature Conservancy is looking for development, communications, and program management professionals across the country.
- If you’re across the pond, the Ecodesign Centre is looking for a Senior Communications Officer.
- Just breaking into the field? Be sure to check out our 1,700 internships.
For even more ways to get inspired, go green, and get dirty this weekend, check out our site here. We’ll see you out there!