Here’s a roundup of what’s buzzing in the social sector this week.
- Fundraising reports of the 2012 year are coming in: Blackbaud’s Charitable Giving Report found that charitable giving grew by 2 percent compared to 2011, and online giving—which now accounts for 7 percent of giving—grew 11 percent.
- Yet while giving is increasing, a new report from CompassPoint and the Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund shares the ongoing challenges in fundraising, including high rates of turnover among fundraisers.
- USA Today has reported that the number of national nonprofit organizations has increased by 50 percent since 2000.
- What about folks who work in the sector? For a compelling story, check out the great conversation happening on the Idealist Careers Blog and on our Facebook page about the experiences of a 30-year-old intern.
- February 6th was Digital Learning Day, which encourages students, parents, and educators across the United States to promote the use of technology in schools. In this TED Talk, Mitch Resnick of MIT Media Lab talks about how teaching kids to code can encourage them to build and innovate down the road.
- The Today show posted its coverage of volunteers working to prepare for the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
- Watch a snippet of January’s March on Washington for Gun Control, featuring Doctors for America.
What news do you have to share?