August 21st is Senior Citizens’ Day! Ronald Reagan signed its observance into law in 1988, and since then, groups across the country have taken the day to celebrate the wisdom and contributions of older adults. So call your grandma and say hi, then take a look at all these great opportunities to get involved with seniors in your community!
- Seniors have lots of wisdom and experience to contribute. Help them put their skills to use! The AARP is looking for a Community Engagement Specialist for their Chicago Experience Corps, which engages older adults in K-3 literacy tutoring.
- Or help send seniors on their own educational journey. Join Road Scholar in Boston, MA as their Program Manager for Adventures Afloat to create exciting educational travel opportunities for the mature traveler.
- Many older adults find themselves homebound or even homeless. DOROT works to enable the elderly to live independently in their own homes as long as possible. They’re looking for a Social Worker in Westchester, NY to support their clients.
- Or take a look at Hearth‘s opening in Boston, MA. They’re hiring a Director of Behavioral Health to support programs that work with formerly homeless elders.
- If you’re looking for some experience in issues facing older adults, try an internship at Alzheimer’s Association St. Louis Chapter. They’re looking for a Special Events Intern to work on some great initiatives.
- Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly in San Francisco is also looking for a Development/Marketing intern to support their programs.
- In Santa Ana the Council on Aging is looking for an intern for their ReConnect program that fights isolation and loneliness among seniors.
- St. Francis House of Olympia, WA needs volunteers to help keep seniors mobile by driving residents to destinations around the community.
- In Seattle, you can join Volunteer Chore Services to help low income elders with daily household tasks.
- And if you’re a senior looking for new experiences, check out a Retired and Senior Volunteer Program near you! They offer great ways to get involved in your community – from tutoring and mentoring to local construction projects.
Take the day to celebrate the older adults in your life. Thank them for being awesome. Then get out into your community! For more ways to help make the world a better place for everyone, take a look at the opportunities on Idealist.org.