October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Breast cancer is the most common invasive cancer worldwide – 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with it in their lifetime, and about 39,620 women are expected to die of breast cancer in 2013.
This month’s international public health campaign is an annual collaboration of national public service organizations, medical associations, and government agencies to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer research, treatment, prevention and cure. And in this week’s opportunity spotlight, we’d like to raise your awareness of ways to get involved in this great cause!
- The Avon Walk for Breast Cancer has been raising awareness (and over $445 million) since 2003. They’re hiring a Fundraiser in Los Angeles and a Regional Manager in Chicago to oversee two or three of their very large events.
- Living Beyond Breast Cancer provides trusted information and a community of support for people affected by breast cancer. They’re looking for a Vice President of Programs and Partnerships in Haverford, PA to supervise their direct service programs and to develop partnership initiatives to support their mission.
- Casting for Recovery in Manchester, VT combines “counseling, medical information, and the therapeutic sport of fly-fishing.” Their programs are offered for free in 34 states to anyone in any stage of breast cancer treatment or recovery. They need a Director of Marketing and Communications to spearhead their national branding and marketing initiatives.
- If you’re looking for an internship and you’re in the Chicago area, be sure to take a look at the Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Their network of survivors and activists work tirelessly to raise funds for education, treatment, and screening for underserved women and for grants that fund groundbreaking research. They’re looking for a finance intern and a development intern among other opportunities.
Volunteer opportunities and events
- And with all the fundraising and awareness events going on this month, volunteers are needed everywhere! Take a look at our list of volunteer opportunities to find a way to help out near you.
There are lots of ways to get involved this October. Whether you’re more into walking or fly fishing, marketing or fundraising, there’s a place for you and your skills. For other ways to get to work on great causes, go to Idealist.org and check out opportunities near you.