November 15th is Philanthropy Day, and there’s no better time to start a career in professional giving than during the holiday season! While there are many ways to give back to your community, we’re shining a spotlight on foundations and the various opportunities they have to get involved with their work. If you want to work at a foundation or simply learn more, Idealist is a great place to begin your search.
Every week hundreds of new jobs in the field of philanthropy are posted to Idealist.
- A good place to start looking is the West Coast. In Los Altos, California the David and Lucile Packard Foundation has a Program Associate position open, while the Skoll Foundation in Palo Alto could use someone with managerial experience.
- If you’re interested in international philanthropy, try out the Jiv Daya Foundation in Dallas. They need a Grant Coordinator to support grantees in India.
- The largest private foundation in the state of Ohio, The George Gund Fund, just posted a fellowship which starts this summer and lasts for two years, while Philanthropy Ohio in Columbus wants someone with 3-5 marketing experience for their new position.
- On the East Coast, job seekers with financial qualifications should look up Combined Jewish Philanthropies in Boston. If you enjoy event planning, head down the coast to New York to apply for the Coordinator job the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation recently posted.
Internships and Volunteer Opportunities
If you’re not in the market for full-time employment, internships and volunteer opportunities are a great option. There are over 700 philanthropic internships on Idealist right now, and over 1,500 volunteer opportunities.
- Join Odyssey Networks Philanthropy team this winter in New York City, the Case Foundation in the spring, or check out this internship at the Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation in Florida if the Northeast winter is too gloomy.
- The AIDS Foundation of Chicago needs an HR Volunteer who can handle administrative tasks 2-3 days each week.
- If you’re looking to volunteer internationally, We Women Foundation in Thailand. They promote the education and well-being of refugees from Burma, and are searching for an Online Campaign Volunteer.
- Finally, India is a hub of volunteer opportunities. The American India Foundation in Mumbai has an awesome fellowship, while the Nanubhai Education Foundation in Mota is looking for teachers to work in a small school.
Good luck and happy job hunting!