April is Sexual Assault Awareness month, and organizations across the country are pooling resources to raise public awareness about sexual assault and to educate communities about how to prevent such violence. Want to get involved? Take a look at these opportunities to help.
- Rape Victim Advocates of Chicago, IL supports victims of sexual assault through non-judgmental counseling and legal and medical advocacy. They’re looking for a part time Development Associate to join their team. You’ll support grant management, donor cultivation, and assist in special event planning and communications.
- The New York Asian Women’s Center in Elmhurst is looking for a full time Mandarin-speaking, Counselor Advocate. You’ll manage a caseload of survivors to ensure that they receive all the services they need. If you’ve got the language skills and experience working with the Asian community or in anti-violence work, be sure to check out this great opportunity.
- Break the Cycle – Washington, DC educates and empowers youth to build communities free from dating and domestic violence. They need a Staff Attorney to represent clients, provide legal training to service providers, and monitor and evaluate the program. If you’re committed to working with youth to build healthy relationships, and you’ve got a J.D. just lying around, this is the job for you.
- The California Coalition Against Sexual Assault in Sacramento provides leadership, advocacy, and resources to rape crisis and prevention centers across the state. If you’ve got technology and communication skills and want to pitch in, they’re looking for a Digital Media Coordinator to develop products and services to communicate complex issues involved in sexual assault education.
Or if you’re looking to volunteer your time,
- The Sexual Assault Resource Agency of Charlottesville, VA needs Hotline Advocates. You’ll provide crisis intervention, emotional support, and information to survivors of sexual violence and their friends and families. Trainings start in May.
- The Sexual Assault Treatment Center of Milwaukee also needs Volunteer Advocates to provide everything from direct survivor support to community outreach.
- Or help the New Jersey Coalition Against Sexual Assault raise awareness through their annual 5K run/walk. They’re looking for volunteers now!
Organizations working on this issue are starting from the ground up – from educating youth on healthy relationships to raising awareness among the public to supporting survivors and their communities – and they need your help. Take a look at all the opportunities to get involved at Idealist.org.