25 years ago, over 500,000 people marched on Washington to demand equal rights for the LGBTQ community. This March also marked the first celebration of National Coming Out Day, which is celebrated on October 11th. If you’re interested in working with or supporting the LBGTQ community, come see what Idealist has to offer!
In New York City or Boston? There are great opportunities to support the LGBTQ community.
- For Idealists interested in law, the New York Legal Assistance group is looking for a Project Coordinator for its LGBT law project, as well as seven other job openings.
- Apply for the LGBT Rights Associate position at Human Rights Watch if you have some administrative experience and a passion for international issues.
- SAGE works on behalf of senior LGBT people, and is looking to add some people to their Development Department.
- In Boston, the Theater Offensive transcends traditional theater boundaries to increase understanding and awareness both inside and out of LGBTQ communities. They need an Assistant to the Executive Director, but only apply if you’re looking for part time work.
If you’re on the West Coast:
- The Gay-Straight Alliance Network in San Francisco is searching for a Director of National Programs as well as a Policy Manager.
- If you enjoy traveling and meeting new people, check out the Field Organizer position posted by Oregon United for Marriage in Portland. Also in the City of Roses, Basic Rights Oregon needs a Program Director for its Trans Justice and Racial Justice programs.
If you’re looking for an internship that focuses on the LGBTQ community, Idealist has you covered.
- Enjoy the sunshine in San Diego and help out a great cause at the same time as a Grant Writing Intern at San Diego LGBT Pride.
- The Howard Brown Health Center in Chicago needs a Communications Intern. If you’re interested in health issues in the LGBTQ community and have some knowledge of social media, send in your application!
- On the East Coast, future policy advocates should consider the interning with Equality Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. You’ll get the chance to do work that directly affects the LGBTQ community in the Keystone State.
- If you have Web Design experience the Lesbians of Color Symposium Collective in Boston could use your help this winter.
Volunteering is a great way to get involved in the LGBTQ community if you’re not looking for a full-time gig.
- Residents of the Boston Metro Area should consider volunteering at GLAD’s annual fundraising dinner on Friday, October 25th.
- If you can’t make it to Boston the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network of Massachusetts is looking for new board members all across the state. Don’t worry New Yorkers: the Center for Anti-Violence Education needs board members too.
- If you’ve got accounting skills, the Spiritual Pride Project in Austin, TX would love to have your help. They believe that gender identity and spirituality are not mutually exclusive.
- Last but not least, the Pacific Center for Human Growth in Berkeley, CA wants a volunteer with both writing and publication layout experience.
So get out there this weekend and do your part to support the LGBTQ community. Idealist currently has hundreds of jobs, volunteer opportunities, and internships active on the site. Happy hunting!